Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Christian Responds to the LBGTieS

The following is an email that we received through our lgbties@gmail.com email address last week from someone who has seen our flyers around campus, perhaps a student although I am uncertain. I have included it here with the text unedited and with the bold lettering as it was received. My response is also enclosed below:

"Dear LGBT,

It is with kind regards to say hello. I could not help but notice a verse of scripture. I love how people can justify their means through precarious wording. I mean the Bible does state in Matthew 7:1 " Judge not unless thou be judged." But what about verses 2-5 which state the following in the NKJV, " 2 For with what judgement you judge, you will be judged and with the measure you use it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ' Let me remove the speck from you eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." I am not the least bit suprised for those that have a supposed justification for what they are. It hurts me that when people take the Bible for just a crumb here and there that those without a regenerative heart is not willing to take the full context for what it is. Verses 2-5 are indication for judgement and the crtiteria and responsiblity for people that do and will judge. Specifically Christians. Christians that have a heart of flesh and not a heart of stone surrounded by bones. The heart of stone I am referring to you can find in Ezekiel 36:26-27. You ladies and gentlemen try to justify your homosexuality with even explaining SIN away. It hurts me greatly to see this. If it did not hurt me I would have no reason or regenerate heart to even share with you your predicament and your situation. I want to share with you a story that you may or may not be familiar with. This story involves the entire human race as we know it in this story. "

My response was as follows:

"To Whom it May Concern,

I apologize for not responding to you sooner, as your original email happened to be routed into the spam box of the lgbties@gmail.com email address.

After reading and re-reading your email, I have been pondering exactly what I might have to say to you, especially in light of the religious nature of your message. It certainly appears that like me, you also have devoted a great deal of time to the study of the Christian Bible. I myself was raised in an Independent Baptist and Pentecostal protestant tradition, and I have spent most of my undergraduate years in religious study at two Christian colleges, Warner University in Florida and Piedmont Baptist College in North Carolina, as well as many years throughout my college career of working in ministry.

It is obvious that we both have found justifications for the beliefs that we each hold to be true, so really it would most likely be an exercise in futility for either of us to get into a debate over specific passages from the Bible and what their meanings are, because I have genuine doubts that my arguments would be persuasive to you regarding the Bible and what it does and does not say regarding gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons, or for that matter whether or not any of what is written in it is even relevant.

Our organization will be doing more in the semesters to come to address the issue of homosexuality and the Bible, and you are more than welcome to attend one of those events and to hear what we have to present on the matter. In the mean time, I would encourage you to visit http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian and read the article addressing the subject written by Rev. Mel White.

I would also be more than willing to meet with you in person sometime, perhaps over coffee to informally share with you my personal experience of growing up as a young gay man in Southwest Virginia and of my religious experiences growing up."

1 comment:

  1. A Christian Responds to the LGBTieS Part 2 http://tinyurl.com/cycpft

    ReplyDelete